From the economy to the environment and Scotland's social well-being, home building is one of our country's most vital industries.
Providing much needed warm, sustainable housing, no other industry impacts such a wide range of policy areas.
Did you know, for example, that:
every new home built supports around 4 jobs
- the industry as a whole supports 63,260 jobs
- the home building industry supported 380 apprentices and 200 graduates in 2014
- new homes built to latest standards have reduced their carbon emissions by 75% compared to 1990 levels
- highly energy efficient, new homes can save money on heating and help fight fuel poverty
- home building in Scotland generated £3.2bn in Gross Value Added in 2013
- housing production has fallen by 40% since 2007 despite the number of households increasing
- only 16,000 new homes were built in 2015 - some 54% less than the Scottish Government's annual target of 35,000 set back in 2007
With 142,500 households on local authority waiting lists and a growing population, there has never been a stronger case, or more urgent need, for significantly increasing housing supply.
Click below to find out what we believe needs to be done to increase the supply of homes of ALL tenures and the wide-ranging economic and social benefits this offers: